Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between “submitting an application” and “signing a License Agreement?”

When you submit an application, you are letting us know that you are interested in living in the Residence Halls. There is no official or binding agreement between you and the Residence Halls with just your application.  Fees associated with your application are non-refundable and non-transferable.
When you sign a Housing License Agreement, you are signing a legally-binding contract to reside in The Residence Halls for the full term of the Agreement (i.e., Academic Term – September 2 – May 25).
If, during your occupancy, you cannot meet the requirements of the Housing License Agreement you signed, you should submit a License Agreement Cancellation Request form to The Office of Housing and Residence Life immediately at Review the License Agreement very carefully with anyone you need to consult about your decision, such as your parent or guardian.

How are students chosen to reside in the Residence Halls?

Any student who plans to be attending UMass Boston in the fall of 2018 is eligible to apply to live in The Residence Halls. Priority will be given to first year students entering UMass in September of 2018.

Will the cost be covered by financial aid?

Any financial aid (i.e., grants, loans, scholarships, etc.) that is remaining, after UMass Boston tuition and fees are paid, can be applied to The Residence Halls housing cost. Any portion of The Residence Halls housing cost that is not paid by financial aid will be an out-of-pocket expense for the student.

Is there a required meal plan?

Yes. Meal plans are required for all students living in the Residence Halls.

What safety measures will be in place at The Residence Halls?

The Residence Halls will be modernized buildings with all of the necessary components to provide a safe and comfortable living experience. A courtesy desk staff member will be at the Welcome Desk, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, to monitor the entrance and sign-in/sign-out of all guests.  A card access system is employed at entry doors and no one may enter the residential floors without a resident access key card. Closed-circuit security cameras will also be located throughout the building. All guests are required to be accompanied/escorted by their host resident while in the building.

What if I need to cancel my application or my License Agreement?

Cancellation of an application will result in the loss of your reservation fee. The Residence Halls Housing License Agreement is a legally-binding agreement that applies to the full term of the Agreement.  Permitted cancellation of the License Agreement will only be allowed on a limited basis and will be subject to a cancellation fee.

Do the Residence Halls provide summer housing?

Yes, however residents must sign an additional contract for the summer months and may be required to relocate within the buildings.

Are there washers and dryers in the residence halls?

There will be a laundry room on ground floor of each building that is open to all residents. The cost is $1.75 to wash and $1.50 to dry. Residents must provide their own detergent.

Can I smoke in my room?

No. As of January 19, 2016, the use of tobacco is prohibited on all university grounds. In compliance with state law, the use of tobacco is prohibited in all buildings, including all buildings owned or leased by the University of Massachusetts Boston.

Can I request to live with my friend?

Yes, you can indicate your friend’s name on the application form when you apply, but requests cannot be guaranteed.

Will I be able to switch roommates if we do not get along?

Every effort is made to work with roommates to ensure they can peacefully coexist in the same living environment. The Office of Housing and Residence Life Staff are all available to assist roommates who may have conflicts. We encourage residents to complete a roommate agreement in the beginning of the year to help facilitate conversations about living preferences and personal habits.

Are we allowed to have any pets?

The only pets allowed at The Residence Halls are fish. (With the exceptions of Service Animals)

Are there accommodations for persons with disabilities?

If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation, please contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life at

Start your journey to live on-campus today.